Tuesday, November 2, 2010

From the Beginning...



I was taking a staycation, just putzing around my new apartment and running errands. I had a mammogram on 10/11/10 (just routine since my mom was so young when she had cancer). But then on 10/13/10, I found a lump on my right breast. I thought it was strange so I immediately made an appointment to see my ob/gyn to have it checked out. He said it did not show up on my mammogram* and thought it may just be a cyst and because I was in the middle of my menstrual cycle. So he sent me off to have an ultrasound the following week. After two ultrasounds, a needle aspiration and a needle biopsy, my doctor called me to tell me that it was a malignant tumor. He sounded shocked. I was shocked too. I was really hoping that it would not be malignant. No dice.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at 38. I am 32. I've been preparing myself for this day over the last 12 years. I was still shocked though.

I was shocked for probably about a day and then the anxiety rolled in. There are still so many unknowns -- what stage, what treatment do I need t do? Will they remove the lump or the whole breast? Are lymph nodes involved? (Lots of things to worry about here.)

The day I found out I had the big C, I made an appointment with a breast surgeon at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. My ob/gyn recommended this surgeon (among a couple others). I've heard the guy is Maggie Dailey's surgeon too (Mayor Dailey's wife) so he must be good. I'll find out more details on the recommended surgery and treatment plan next week at this appointment.

At times, I get pretty overwhelmed about the road ahead. Right now, I'm pretty calm about it. I'm just going to take this a day at a time. For now, I'm getting my boxing gloves ready for the fight! Love to all who are behind me and are going to cheer me on.

* Mammograms are not perfect. Breasts are so dense at a young age so it's not a big surprise that it didn't show up. This is why it is so important to DO YOUR MONTHLY SELF BREAST EXAM. No matter if you have family history or are young. It can save your life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment