Saturday, March 5, 2011

3 Down....

Treatment this week...
I've got 3 chemos under my belt!  I'm almost to the half-way point.  My regimen is broken down by two different types of treatment: 4 A + C (Adriamycin and Cytoxin) and 4 Taxol.  From what I understand, A + C is the harder of the two treatments (which is why they front load them) so I'm almost done with the harder stuff.  My word for this treatment this round was "strength" -- God, please grant me the strength to endure chemotherapy and kick cancer's ass! 


My date for chemotherapy was Jamie, a good friend of mine from my days working at NPD.  Thanks for coming with Jamie.  It was fun catching up with you!  


Jamie and I after treatment was done
My new 'do...still an adjustment for me
I'm still getting adjusted to my new 'do.  It's growing on me.  A few people at work (that I don't see regularly) have commented on my new hair cut -- thinking that maybe I just wouldn't lose my hair.  That definitely has made me feel good.  I haven't had the guts to leave my apartment without a wig on yet.  I'm still trying to lead a secret agent double life -- 'normal Heather' when out and about and 'cancer vixen' when at home.  


What I did last weekend...
Last weekend I went home for the first time since Christmas (boy did that time fly).  My mom's best friend, Kathy came over to my aunt's house and we had coffee just like the old days.  For those of you that don't know, my mom and Kathy would have coffee together one to two times a day and our families would just spend hours together chatting.  My aunt made my great grandmother's buttermilk biscuits, one of Kathy's favorites (sorry friends, it's a family recipe that I cannot share) and Kathy brought my donuts from my favorite bakery in Lake Zurich.  It was very nostalgic to have coffee with her and a great way to celebrate my mom's memory.  

Kathy and I also stopped by my dad's house so she could meet the newest puppy in our family, Abby.  She is so adorable and my dad is lucky that I have too  much on my plate because I would like to "borrow" her from him (and perhaps not return).  
My Dad and Abby
  
Abby after getting groomed & wanting a treat.
She's so cute! 
My cousins Rob and Kristi were also at my aunt's last weekend so it was nice to see them. Rob introduced us to Wii Wheel of Fortune and we had a lot of fun playing that!  I'm looking forward to a rematch (preferably when my Aunt Barb doesn't blurt out the answers while it's Rob's turn!).


What's ahead for the week...
It's gonna be a busy week for me!  On Tuesday I have my second monthly Young Survivor's Coalition meeting (which as many of you know is where I met my friend Bonnie).   So I'm looking forward to seeing her and connecting with other young breast cancer survivors.  On Thursday, my friend Molly invited me  to see a Wolfgang Puck cooking demonstration, which I'm pretty excited about.  And then on Friday, we have a team outing and we're going to the Bull's game!  This will be my second Bull's game ever (and twice in one season no less).  


Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Happy MARCH!  I am so excited for spring to arrive! 

No comments:

Post a Comment