Saturday, April 30, 2011

Birthday, Biking, Chemo & Beyond

Happy Birthday to me!


My birthday was a couple of weeks ago so I have been slowly celebrating with my friends and family.  This year has been pretty low key for me because I'm still dealing with this good week-bad week schedule.   (But things are looking up for me...more on that to come.)  One of my great friends, Katie Cavaretta got me a label maker for my birthday. :)  I don't know why I've always wanted one but Katie and I share a love for office supplies so I was pretty psyched to get one.  My first response was "What am I going to label first?!?" Yes, I am a dork.

As a present to myself (and with the help of my Dad and Aunt Barb), I decided to upgrade my bike this year since I will be training for the Apple Cider Century ride in September.  I currently have a mountain bike (which is not really needed since I don't live near any mountains). So, it was time for me to move on to a bike that is better for city and long distance riding.  With the help of my Uncle Joel, we picked out the perfect bike for me.  I am really excited to pick it up and take it out for a ride!

My new bike -- TREK 7000



Chemotherapy -- 7 down, 1 to go!!!

It is amazing to think that I am almost finished with chemotherapy.  I feel like I have come such a long way from my very first treatment on February 2nd.   The last few treatments have been really tough for me.  I've been very achy, had bone pain and the fatigue started to catch up with me.  My doctor recommended taking a new vitamin and I have also have done a couple of acupuncture treatments.  I don't know if it's the combination of those (or a little bit of magic) but I am feeling so much better than the last few treatments.  I met a woman in the treatment room that is one week behind me and she has to take narcotic pain medication for the bone pain.  I haven't even needed to take Tylenol this weekend. I feel very blessed this time around.  I'm sure that it also helps that the weather is picking up in Chicago and in the back of my mind I know I only have ONE TREATMENT LEFT!!

Thank you Bridget for coming along with me to chemotherapy.  It was so fun to catch up with you!  I am very fortunate to be surrounded by friends and family at every single treatment.  Even the nurses commented on how I have a different friend with me at nearly every visit.  It is so nice to have cheerleaders near and far.  Thank you for all of your  happy thoughts -- I could definitely feel the love this week.  



What's next?


I will take about a month off after chemotherapy and begin radiation.  I believe I have to do 5 weeks of radiation (which will be five days a week).  I am meeting with the radiation oncologist in 10 days and will confirm all of that then.  But it looks like I will be finished with all of my treatment in July sometime.  It will be so nice to have this all behind me.  Then, I will take about 6 months off and allow my skin and tissue to heal and I hope to have the second part of my reconstructive surgery at the end of the year.


It has been a long road but I can't tell you how many blessings I have to be grateful for.  Thank you for being by my side and providing such a wonderful support system!  


Love to all! 

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Love your new bike.

    Have you labeled your cell phone yet?

    ReplyDelete