Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Busy but good week

It's been a busy week for me....I ventured back to work on Tuesday after finally getting some sleep on Monday night.  After work I made it to my first Young Survival Coalition meeting. This is an organization that is dedicated to supporting breast cancer survivors that were diagnosed in their 20's and 30's.  Basically people just like me!  In a way it is sad to be in a room full of women just like me but it validated a lot of the feelings I have been having and it was comforting to be around women that speak my crazy cancer language.  (Do you think 'cancer' can be considered a foreign language?) There were women of all diagnosis and survivorship stages.  I exchanged information with one person who was diagnosed two weeks after I was and is one week ahead of me in chemo.  I now consider her my cancer BFF (but I haven't told her this yet).  She and I are both triple negative breast cancer, BRCA1 mutation positive and doing the same chemo regimen (4 rounds A+C and 4 rounds Taxol).  And for those of you that don't know what I just said, that's exactly what I mean by speaking my language.  :) Needless to say, she and I  have a lot in common.

Tonight, I went to the American Cancer Society's Look Good Feel Better program that's supposed to help teach about how makeup can help with the loss of eyelashes, eyebrows and skin changes.  It was nice because I got some swag but I didn't learn a ton about makeup (apparently the program isn't designed for girls that would travel with a Caboodles full of makeup at 12 years old).  The best part about it was that my cancer BFF was there too! She was having an awful day and told me that she was relieved that I was there.  I was happy to see a familiar face, myself.

I've got a follow-up appointment with my oncologist tomorrow. I think she just wants to see how my first round of treatment went.  I am feeling good -- pretty much like my normal self, so I hope that is the case in between each treatment.

Signing off to count some sheep.... Stay warm everyone! xoxo

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you found a BFF. You deserve one and she is so lucky to have you.

    Now who told you what SWAG was??? Hmmmmm???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! Hard to believe that wasn't in my vocabulary before I met you!

    ReplyDelete